A Travellerspoint blog

The Final Headrush... It's Getting Tiring Being Upside Down!

Day 46

overcast 25 °C

By now you have all had a chance to check out our pictures so hopefully they have illustrated the adventures we have had in the land down under. The last week of Australia was fairly quiet in comparison but it gave us a chance to recoup, meet up with friends and prepare for Southeast Asia.

From Hervey Bay we took a bus to Noosa where we met up with our friend Roald. From there we took a bus and a train further down to Brisbane where we spent two nights with him at his new apartment. The first two nights were quiet and consisted of walking to the mall to pick up dinner supplies and relaxing by watching some movies. The third morning we took a train back to Noosa where Roald showed us a quary only a handful of locals know about. The water was turquoise blue and a refreshing temperature, swimming was the perfect way to cool off. That night we set off in to town and met some of Roald's friends for a night of drinking and bar-hopping. On the way to the bar we saw our first and only snake, it was no bigger than a worm but it was still awesome and terrifying. The next day was Sarah's birthday and Jess made a nice breakfast before we set out to Noosa National Park. We walked along the beach eyeing all of the posh waterfront houses before we arrived at Alexandria Bay, a nudist beach full of older naked men. It was lovely. We relaxed in the shade and had our peanutbutter and jam sandwiches for lunch and then went back to our hostel to catch a shuttle in to town. When we arrived at the bus depot we ran into our friends Ruth and Andrew, who we had originally met on our Whitsunday trip. While waiting for the bus we experienced our first bout of bad Australian weather, Jess compared it to an Ontario summer storm. There wasn't much cover from the rain so we spent half and hour trying to keep our bags dry and protecting our legs from the hail. On top of that the bus was late so by the time it pulled in we were soaked and so was our stuff. It wasn't smooth sailing after that, about half way through our bus journey the bus broke down and we had to wait on the side of the road for another bus to pick us up. We arrived in Brisbane late and we were more than ready for a warm shower and some birthday dinner. Our spirits soon lifted and we enjoyed a nice dinner out and then some of Sarah's favourite cake, red-velvet. It didn't quite match up to the Bubble Room but it was good enough! Our Australian mates Tate and Tim picked us up and gave us a night-time tour of Brisbane followed by a drink at South Bank. It turned to be a great birthday for Sarah afterall.

On the 22nd we took the bus south to Byron Bay, a small beachside town known for its surfing. We had an easy going night with a nice dinner and a walk around through the shops. The next morning we woke up early to pouring rain and headed out for our surf lesson. Despite the rain we loved our private lesson and embraced our inner surfer-chick. We both were able to stand up and ride multiple waves in to the shoreline, it was an awesome feeling. It proved to be a good work out as we were fighting the waves to get back out to our instructor and the next morning our arms were killing us! After the lesson we headed back to our hostel for warm showers until the rain cleared up. In the evening we went to the waterfront for a cider and watched the sunset. After dinner we went back out for ice cream and had an early night. The following day it was back to Brisbane for one final night. We got ready for the evenings festivities and headed to a friend's for predrinks before togaing up to help set a world record for the largest toga party! We tramped through the rain in our toga's to the park that was croweded with almost 4000 fellow toga goers. We downed some drinks and headed straight in to the middle of the chaos... front row of the live concert, surrounded by thousands of partiers. When the toga party shut down we walked along in the rain to catch a cab back to Roald's apartment. It was awesome to be apart of a world record, even if it was in Australia. We said our final goodbye's to Tate and headed to bed for a short sleep before our plane to Singapore the next morning.

That's the end of our down under adventures, next we're on to Southeast Asia for the last 56 days of our trip. We're both definitely nervous and don't quite know what to expect but we are also really excited.

That's all for now but we will update you soon enough on Southeast Asia and how we're adjusting.

Keep the comments coming and remember that we love you all.

xoxox Sarah & Jess

Posted by BlackNels 00:45 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint